Friday, October 11, 2013

Erachi Pathiri

This was inspired by Jincy. I had made it for Iftar on one of the last few days of Ramadan...

One of Jincy's colleague had got this to office and as she and her husband, Anaska, loved it she made it back home in her kitchen. And she got some for me to taste. It was yum yummy.

And I too tried to re-create it in my kitchen. As its rice power and not maida used, it felt good for the tummy right after breaking the fast....


I totally loved it! Ate two while I was making it :D. Hafizka and Nafih loved it too. Ayaan liked the chicken. The chicken filling I used was this...


I made it exactly like how I make a chicken curry, with less but thick gravy... with a touch of powdered dry mint leaves and pressure cooked potato cut into cubes.


For the chicken filling I used:
  • Boneless chicken
  • Big onions - 1
  • Tomatoes - 1
  • Green chilly - 1
  • 3 to 4 Curry leaves chopped 
  • Ginger-Garlic paste (make fresh with 4-5 cloves of garlic and an inch of ginger)
  • Pressure cooked potatoes.. cut into small cubes (Optional)
  • Garam masala - 1 tsp
  • Chilly powder - 1 tsp
  • Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
  • Coriander powder - 2 tsp
  • Pepper powder (Add if green chilly and chilly powder does not give u ur desired spicy level)
  • Coriander leaves
  • Fresh mint leaves or dry mint leaves powder
  • Salt to taste
How to make:
  • Heat oil in a pan add chopped onion... sautee until they start turning brown..
  • Add ginger-garlic paste... cook until the raw smell of garlic goes
  • Add tomatoes, green chilly, chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder and chopped curry leaves.
  • Cook that until oil starts forming on the side... then add in the chicken... add pepper here if u want it more hot.
  • Cook the chicken well...boneless cubes of chicken dont take much time to cook.
  • Add cooked potato cubes.
  • Add in the coriander leaves and mint leaves
  • Switch off flame. The filling is ready.
Now the pathiri I made with:

  • 2  cups roasted rice flour
  • 2.5 cups water
  • salt to taste

Take a deep bottom vessel. Add the water and salt. Let the water come to boil. Lower flame and add in the rice flour. Mix well and keep covered for a minute or 2 on that low flame. Do make sure it doesnt get burnt at the bottom.

Then comes the kneading. The dough will be hot so knead it with a spoon until it turns warm. Then knead with hand to make a really soft dough. 
Use a press to make round pathiris. 
Take a pathiri, put some of that chicken filling on top and then cover with another pathiri. 
Press the sides with a fork.
Now u can either steam it or cook it on the skillet.
I steamed all except 2 which i cooked on the skillet on hot flame. I liked it both ways. It took around 15 minutes to steam-cook it. The steamed ones look neat and tidy...



The below pic shows the one I cooked on skillet. I was checking something out on the computer and left that on the skillet a bit too long.


I didnt make these pathiris really thin coz then i'll have to deal with them breaking when i turn them over to cook the other side.


I've had this post in my drafts since I made it. I never really got the time to post it. Right after Eid I went for vacation to India and reached back just a little over 2 weeks ago. Took a little time getting settled and getting back into the mood for posting on blog...

Any way, here I am... back to cooking... and blogging :)

6 comments:

  1. sooooo yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will make it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMYYYYYYY! I wana make this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Colours Four World,

    Sorry, didn’t know how else to contact you!

    Firstly, great blog and keep up the good work!

    My name is Charles and I currently run a blog in Dubai, www.allxpats.com. I have been doing this now for the past year or so and while updating it and letting the website grow, I will now be moving onto my next venture. Which is why I am contacting you.

    As finding advertisers for your site in the UAE is not the easiest of things to achieve, I have decided to start an Affiliate Network in the UAE whereby businesses can offer a certain sum of money per click, lead or a percentage of commission to the blog/website owner who brought in that lead via the website owners unique link.

    Once logged into the website, you will be able to see your earnings, advertising programs you have joined, charts showing all your stats and much more.

    I am currently in university, 21, and this will be my first risky business venture, so trying to get as much research together as possible and people who would be interested in joining if it were good, easy to use, and did have relevant advertisers.

    PLEASE FILL IN THIS VERY FAST 5 Question Survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5TCP5D7

    Sorry for the long email and once again, thank you very, very much for taking the time to read and answer the survey!

    If you ever need any help with anything just let me know, or want to tweet each other, tag each other in Facebook ect and so on.

    Thanks Again

    Charles Leahy

    charlesleahy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete