Original Recipe from bbcgoodfood
- 350g thin-cut steak, very thinly sliced into strips
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced, green and white parts separated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 inch ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- Make sure to remove all water from the beef.
- Toss the cornflour, beef and five-spice together in a bowl and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a wok until hot, then add the beef and fry until golden and crisp.
- Scoop out the beef and drain on kitchen paper. Pour away all but 1 tbsp oil.
- Add the pepper, half the chilli, the white ends of the spring onions, garlic and ginger to the pan.
- Stir-fry for 3 mins to soften, but don’t let the garlic and ginger burn.
- Mix the vinegar, soy, chilli sauce and ketchup in a jug with 2 tbsp water, then pour over the veg. Bubble for 2 mins, then add the beef back to the pan and toss well to coat.
- Scatter the remaining chilli and green parts of the spring onion on top.
- Serve the beef on noodles or rice.
Note: This is not very spicy. So you can add more chilli if you need.