- Dave Barry
This is my latest creation... moist chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting... topped with some roasted, thinly sliced almonds and lots&lots of walnuts....
I had come across this recipe while browsing thru Google, in search of the perfect chocolate cake. Got it from foodess.com.
It's almost like brownies with just a little bit fudgey-ness to it....
Eating it alone itself is great... with cream-cheese frosting its heavenly... :)
I've tried this cake recipe with both butter cream frosting and chocolate ganache.
Both tasted great.. but personally I find the cream cheese frosting the best...
My cream cheese frosting came out a little runny, so I didnt feel like decorating much.. just added nuts. I feel the loads of walnuts kinda look like small brown moths or something :P
Here's what all you'll need and how to make the moist chocolate cake:
- 1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
(or substitute by adding 1 tbsp of white vinegar to milk; let it stand for 5 minutes until it thickens)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
(u could use freshly brewed coffee instead. But as coffee gives me migraines, I optioned for water)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
How to make:
- Preheat oven to 175 degree C.
- Grease and flour two baking pans(or line with foil or parchment paper) and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients(flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt). Then add the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla extract. Beat for about 3 minutes with a hand beater or an electric egg-beater until its a smooth paste. Now add in the boiling water. Mix well. The batter is supposed to be runny (dont worry)
- Pour the batter evenly between the 2 pans and bake for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean with just a few crumbs attached.
- It should cool completely before handling or frosting
The cream cheese frosting is an easy enough recipe. Don't know why mine came out runny thou.
- 1 and 1/2 cups cream cheese
- 5 table spoons of butter(softened). Make sure it is soft or else there would be butter lumps in the frosting.
- 5 to 5 and 1/2 cups of icing sugar
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Cream butter and cream cheese together. Add sugar 1 cup at a time. Add in heavy cream and vanilla extract. Beat until fluffy. Using an egg beater would give more desirable result.
After you've put on the frosting decorate with whatever u feel like.. chocolate flakes.. fresh fruits... or use nuts like I did...
I selected this post to be featured on Blog Nation. Please visit the site and vote for my blog!