I made a few changes from the way the vahchef made it. What he did was make a ball out of rice and then fill it with a mix of potato masala mix(what u wud make for veg cutlets). But my rice balls came out kinda sticky and so I just mixed everything up and made into balls...
And also, as my hubby likes to have a non-veg item with everything, I added small chicken pieces to the masala mix. It came out pretty good! Alhamdulillah. :)
It's quite easy to make.
Here's what all you'll need:
- Cooked Rice - 3 cups(Best to use basmati or ponni or those rice which u can mash easily)
- Potatoes- 2 medium(Boiled and mashed)
- Ginger garlic paste(or finely chopped) - 1 tbsp
- Onion finely chopped - 1 big
- Boneless chicken cut into small cubes - Half a cup
- Red chilly powder - 2 tsp
- Garam malasa - 1 tsp
- Green chillies chopped finely - 2 or more depending on ur taste buds
- Coriander leaves - a handful, chopped finely
- Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Oil for frying
- Eggs - 1 big or more if u need
- Bread Crumbs - How much ever u need
- Salt to taste
Directions to make:
- Heat a tbsp oil in a pan add cumin seeds. Let it flutter for half a minute then add in the onions, green chillies. When the onion starts turning brown add in the ginger garlic paste.
- Add red chilli powder and garam masala. Saute for a few minutes then add in the small bone-less pieces of chicken. Add salt and let that cook for 3-4 minutes. It doesnt take long.
- Now add in the potatoes. Mix well and check salt. (Squeeze in some lemon juice if u want). Cook for a few minutes to make into a nice thick masala mix. Switch off flame.Keep aside.
- In another bowl take the cooked rice, add coriander leaves and a little salt. Mix well.
- Now make balls with the rice mixture.... and with the chicken-potato as the masala mix in the centre. (While making this it all got too sticky for me and I just mixed it all up. Iftari time was drawing near.)
- Beat the egg into a bowl... and just how u would make a cutlet, dip the balls into the egg and coat with bread crumbs.
- Deep fry in hot oil.
- Enjoy!! :)
Try this. Whatever my son loves, I call it a success! :)
It's one crispy awesome snack. Make whichever dip u like and enjoy with tea!