- 2 cups basmati rice, washed and drained (The proportion of rice and water for ghee rice is 1:2. For each cup of rice u add 2 cups of water)
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 3 cloves, 3 cardamons, 3 small pieces of cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp raisins(I didnt put it in what I made right now. Just made it as fast as possible for Ayaan. He was being a bit short-tempered with me :P)
- A handful cashew nuts (I didnt use this either)
- 5-6 tbsp of sunflower oil (or ghee if that's what u want)
- 4 cups water
- Salt to taste
How to make:
- Take a big saucepan add the oil and let it heat up. Add the cloves, cardamon and cinnamon and let it roast a minute then add the sliced onions.
- Saute until they are about to turn brown. The onions should be cooked but should not turn brown. If they turn brown the whole ghee rice will get a brown colour.
- Add the 4 cups of water. Add salt.
- When water starts to boil add the 2 cups rice. I usually boil water in my electric kettle and use 4 cups from it. It's quicker than waiting for the water to boil.
- Check salt. Put flame on simmer. Cover the saucepan with lid and let the rice cook. It will take some 10-15 minutes. Do check. Don't let it overcook and become a paste.
- Roast the cashew nuts and raisins in a tbsp of oil and garnish before serving.
When I make ghee rice for the whole family, I'll take pics of the garnished one with raisins and cashews. Right now its the demand of a 3 year old I'm trying to satisfy ASAP :D