My aunt had introduced me to this. I almost always make stuff with chocolate in it but this recipe according to my aunt was awesome. My cousins loved it, it seems. No matter what my aunt makes it's always yummy :)
Here's the recipe:
For the bottom banana layer:
- 2 and half cups of caster sugar
- 6 medium bananas
- half cup water
For the Custard Layer
- Sweetened condensed milk (400ml)
- Milk 600ml
- 4 Egg yolks
- 2 heaped tbsp of corn flour
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp oil/butter
For the top Meringue Layer
- 4 Egg whites
- 8 tbsp caster sugar
- Zest of 1 lime
First we make the banana layer
- Add sugar and water to a big deep frying pan on medium flame. Let the sugar brown.
- Peel and cut the banana into 1 inch pieces.
- When the sugar has turned deep golden brown (if syrup too thick add half cup boiling water to thin it) add the banana pieces to it.
- Turn over the banana pieces gently to make sure they cook and soften on both sides. When they turn dark brown all over turn off flame. Pour them into a pie dish and set aside for cooling...
Now for the custard layer:
(You could always use the custard powder pack we get to buy in stores for easy custard. But for this recipe making a custard from scratch is best or else the egg yolks would get wasted. But if u could use it elsewhere, well and good :))
- Mix condensed milk and the milk in a pan.
- Sieve the 4 yolkes into the mixture.
- Add vanilla extract
- Add corn flour and whisk it in until fully dissolved
- Now put it on the stove on high. Stir constantly until it forms thick paste.
- Remove from heat and add butter/oil
- Stir well and gently pour it over the banana layer in the pie dish and let that also cool..
For the meringue layer beat the 4 egg whites into hard peaks using an electric egg beater and add in the sugar and lime zest...
Spoon the meringue on top of the custard layer and spread well. Use the spoon to make small peaks..
Place it inside a preheated (220 degrees C) oven for 15 minutes. This is only to slightly brown and cook the meringue. Make sure not to over cook.
Annnd it's readyyy!!
I decorated the top with some Hershey's semi-sweet chocolate chips :)
Planning on trying this with pineapple too... :)