Things you'll need are:
- Basmati rice - 2 cups (This would server 4+ ppl)
- Vegetables (I used 2 carrots, 4-5 Beans, half a cup cooked chick peas and half a cup cooked, frozen green peas)
- Chopped Onions - 2 medium sized
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Garlic - 6 cloves
- Green chillies - 2
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Cinnamon - 1 stick
- Cardamon - 3-4
- Cloves - 3-4
- Salt to taste
- Sunflower oil/ Butter - 4-5 tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder -1 tsp
- Garam masala - 1tsp
Direction to make:
- Chop all the vegetables and keep aside.
- Grind the garlic, ginger, green chillies and coriander leaves.. keep aside
- In a heavy bottom vessel (which has a tight lid), heat the butter/oil and add the cardamon, cloves, cinnamon sticks. Saute for a few minutes, lower flame and add the onions.
- When the onions start to turn brown add the ginger-garlic-coriander. Saute.
- Add the red chilly powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt
- Mix well. All these should be done on low flame so as not to burn them.
- Now we add the vegetable. Between the carrots and beans, the beans take longer time to cook, so I added that first. Let it cook for a minute then added the carrot. Let that also cook for a minute. Then I added the cooked chick peas and green peas.
- Now turn up the flames and add 4 cups of water. Use the same cup u used for measuring rice. If ur taking 2 cups rice, u need to take 4 cups water. The ratio is 1:2.
- Add the lemon juice and rice. Mix well. Check salt. Cover with lid. Lower flame.
- Check after 10-15 minutes. I didnt check the exact timings, so can't say if it took more than that to cook. Do check the rice and dont let it go mushy.
Serve with raita and pickles if u want. The rice would be spicy enough. We had it with raita :)
Try it out.. simple enough recipe...
Make and let me know how it turns out....