Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Green Cheera Upperi

You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces, just good food from fresh ingredients....
- Julia Child

Hey everyone... :)
I've not been able to update this blog for a long time since I had my baby in the last week of June 2014. Taking pics of the food I make was easy... but getting the time to write a post on it was not. The little time that I did get when baby was asleep I would want to rest myself. 

And even Steffy is going through the same thing. She had her baby in the first week of November 2014. :)

I was in Saudi for 2 weeks... had gone for a mini vacation to be with my parents and sisters. I thought I might be able to post from there, but sadly weather changes(sand storm for days on) made my kids sick (allergies :( ) and yet again the little time my baby slept I wanted to sleep too.
Alhamdulillah we are getting back to routine now.

Here is an upperi I had made some months back. Its made with my favourite green cheera. I love green cheera upperi with rice, fish curry and fish fry. This upperi is also made the same way as the kovakka one I had posted.


The things you'll need are:
  • 2 big bunch of green cheera (Washed and cut)
  • 4-5 small onions
  • 4-5 tbsp grated coconut
  • 2 dry red chillies
  • 1 tsp mustard seed
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil (You can use any oil u want. Keralites mostly love food cooked in coconut oil)
  • salt to taste


How to make:
  • Grind together grated coconut, small onions and dry red chilly. Don't grind into a paste.
  • In a pan heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil, add mustard seed, let it splutter. 
  • Now add in the coconut-small onion-red chilly mix. Cook that for a minute or two until coconut starts changing colour to light brown. Add in the chopped cheera. Mix well. Add salt.
  • Cheera cooks very fast. Hardly 5 minutes so do take care. 


This goes great with rice and curry.
Also take note: Its best not to add curry leaves to dishes u make with palak, cheera and other leafy veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment