I was not feeling well yesterday. Headache as usual (It's a really hot summer! :( ) and I asked my husband to go buy the grocery. I had asked to buy some fish for making curry. He got home squid and (not surprisingly) prawns. He always buys prawns not matter whatever else he buys...
I decided to make squid roast.
This ones an extremely simple recipe. What you'll need is:
- squid, cleaned and sliced into rings - 1/2 kg
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- Ginger - 1 tsp
- Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1 tsp
- Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp(add more or less depending on how spicy u want it)
- Curry leaves - 4 to 5
- Salt to taste
How to make:
- Heat oil in a pan and add the sliced onions and curry leaves.
- Saute until the onions start turning golden brown. Add ginger and garlic. Mix well and let it cook for a minute or 2 until the garlic smell goes.
- Add chilli, turmeric, garam masala and pepper powder. Add the tomatoes and mix well. Now let it cook for another 2 minutes or so until the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Now add the squid and salt. Mix and let it cook through. Make sure not to over-cook the squid. I did.. and it turned all rubbery. It takes hardly 10 minutes or so to cook squid.
(There is also another method of cooking squid in which the squid is first marinated with chilli powder, turmeric and salt and cooked for about 5-6 minutes and kept aside. The masala is made separate and the cooked squid added into it. Either way u get the same stuff...)
My son was walking around with this. He likes squid, but this one was too spicy for him. So I cleaned off all the masala from it and gave him.
Catch u later then.. tata! :)